Before we put the best hybrid app examples, let us first describe a little bit about the hybrid apps, their advantages over other apps, and more. The two main types of apps that are used are: hybrid apps and native apps. The primary distinction between hybrid and native apps can be defined in terms of their development cost. As these hybrid apps are more affordable than native apps, which are made particularly for Android or iOS.
Hybrid app development allows developers to get the option to use a single codebase for creating mobile apps for Android and iOS platforms. While in the case of native apps, developers have to write separate code to design apps for Android and iOS platforms, which increases the development time and consequently the cost of native apps. The presence of cross-platform app development frameworks like React Native, Flutter, Ionic, etc. redefines the way hybrid apps are designed thereby improving their performance and usability. These frameworks make hybrid apps more affordable and thus reduce the development time.
As we all are aware that native apps are the most preferred choices among businesses, but hybrid apps are not far behind. Businesses, particularly start-ups and mid-range organizations usually opt for hybrid app development. Hybrid apps are considered the right choice for businesses irrespective of their type, size, nature, etc. Each of these apps has its benefits, be it increasing brand awareness, product sales, revenue generation, or other related things.
Before proceeding towards the details of examples of hybrid apps, let’s take a look at some of the basics:
What is a hybrid mobile app?
Hybrid mobile apps are applications installed on a device, simply like any other app. They possess components from native apps, applications produced for a particular platform such as Android or iOS, with elements from web apps. These hybrid apps are like websites that act like apps and are accessed on the Internet through a browser.
Hybrid apps are most popularly referred to as web applications, which are single-page apps. These apps merge both the mobile and web world and therefore help users in gaining a unique experience while accessing them.
Also, read: Mobile App Development for Small Businesses
Advantages of hybrid apps:
These hybrid apps offer several advantages:
- Merging user experience with a rapid development cycle and controlled costs.
- Avoid the limitations of the Apple App Store: to use an application on the Apple App Store, there is a waiting time for app validation. The delay depends on the time of the year and also on whether it is a first submission or an update. Hybrid apps, therefore, offer a huge advantage for developers who want to update their app frequently as it is not needed to resubmit the new version.
- Decreased development time and costs: the code is written here once, which significantly decreases costs and development time as compared to native apps which need development for Android and development for iOS.
Top Examples of Hybrid Apps that Enjoy a Higher User Engagement
We are going to discuss here the top 7 top-notch examples of hybrid apps that have taken businesses to the next level and have created excitement in the market, redefining the performance of these hybrid applications.
Evernote tops among hybrid app examples and is one of the popular productivity apps. The app is known for its rich design and strong performance, which makes it stand apart from other apps under this segment. The multi-device sync capacity of this app makes it seamless and unique. This app gives a completely fluent and native-like experience, which makes it the most appealing app among users.
- Use a camera to scan and capture anything.
- Automatically sync all-important notes, etc.
- Plan, discuss and share your memos and notes with those that helped you in performing your work.
- Create a personal to-do list and keep your thoughts fully organized.
Also, read: What is HIPAA Compliance?
2) Amazon App Store
Another example of a hybrid app is the Amazon App Store that is powered by HTML5 and redefines the experience of users while accessing it. It has a top-notch user interface that makes it stand out among different users and also makes the app extremely appealing.
- Simple and fast: checkout process
- App review to ensure users receive quality products
- Reviews and feedback by users
- Global distribution
Instagram is another most beneficial and great hybrid app example. This app observes user engagement every day and is one of the leading social media apps. It is the best platform for sharing images and videos. This app is powered by HTML5, the app comes with the capability to maintain both offline data and additionally rich media – the best example is its signature quick videos.
- Get more familiar with things and individuals you love by joining the vast community.
- Add pictures and videos to create an interesting story with fun creative tools.
- Message friends instantly
- Post images and videos to your feed on your profile that you are interested in.
- Watch longer and an interesting video by accessing IGTV
Uber is another example of a hybrid app and is the most popular web application that runs on m.uber.com. It doesn’t require any special introduction as it’s already famous among users as a taxi-booking application. It is a great hybrid app example with a simple and intuitive user interface amalgamated with easy navigation. The app performs fast on multiple devices and provides dynamic features to both Android and iOS users.
- The app uses the user’s location to assist drivers to pick up the customer’s locations efficiently.
- Riders can view the driver’s image.
- Multiple methods of Payment – credit card, digital wallet, and debit card.
- You can view vehicle details and additionally track drivers via Google Maps.
While speaking regarding some of the biggest hybrid app examples, it seems impossible to ignore the Gmail application. Google leverages the potential of HTML5 in restricting the Gmail app to redefine the user experience with excellent features and functionalities, etc. Google has joined both native elements and HTML successfully into the application to make it more significant with a seamless performance.
- The app includes an organized inbox to characterize promotional and social messages.
- Gmail app blocks any spam before it gets to your inbox.
- The app has a15 GB of free data storage to save a large number of messages.
- Provides multiple account support for users.
Twitter is another famous social media app and one of the best hybrid app examples that only some of us are aware of, it has observed a large volume of traffic. It sorted out all setbacks and delays of a hybrid app, which is discussed majorly for performance issues. Twitter has transformed users’ perception regarding the hybrid application and hence raised the demand for these apps among businesses.
- Users can enjoy viewing premium and live video streaming straight from their mobile devices.
- Find your interesting news.
- Express your thoughts by writing a tweet.
- Receive notifications regarding who is your new follower.
- Keep your eyes on interesting viral and stories.
7) Remote POS
This Remote POS app helps users in controlling and managing an entire restaurant. This application involves the ability to work offline, while it requires an internet connection for printing the generated bill. Remote POS has a larger storage capacity as it has both local and cloud data storage. The application works excellently and is considerably efficient for handling staff and managing orders.
- Cloud-based application
- Customer mobile application
- Users get notifications associated with promotional offers and deals regularly.
- It helps businesses build customer loyalty.
- This mobile app facilitates easy and fast transactions.
What Type of App is Best for Your Business?
There are several directions towards which you can take your app, each of which has its pros and cons. Moreover, there will always be some sort of limitation in money or time that will force you to decide.
What’s significant is to take adequate time in thinking and estimating before you begin creating. You should read and understand as much as you can regarding the different kinds of apps and their development stages. Apps are enough expensive, and you may have only one go at getting it right. If you can interact and mix with people that have progressed through the process of developing each of these kinds of apps. They will be able to provide you the best ideas.
What is clear and obvious is the fact that the economic success of smartphones is not displaying any signs of slowing down, so in the following years, you can assume billions of people throughout the world to get their first smartphone. The chance and opportunity to get your app into the app store in the hands of millions of people is still growing. Just Get it!
Today, social networks need to serve users efficiently to get them to invite all their friends. If the app isn’t effective or better than apps that they have used earlier, there’s simply a weaker chance that they will share that app.
A better way to examine the concept and reduce the risk, in our opinion, is to create for the web first employing WordPress and a theme, then convert it into an Android and iOS app with Canvas! You can get to market far quicker and more affordably than any other path, and you’ll end up with an excellent result.
Both hybrid and native apps can meet the different requirements and choices of developers and users, but none of them can be considered a perfect solution. Both have their strengths and weaknesses, and it is up to the user to select which of them suits them better. The above-defined examples of hybrid apps can certainly help you choose between some of the best hybrid apps for your business. So, think, take your time, and decide accordingly which would be the best choice for your business and yourself.
Also, watch the video on Top Examples of Hybrid Apps