Once you have completed your app development, you need to publish the app into the iTunes store for the end-user to download and install your app. Here is how to publish your app on apple’s app store in 2020.
- You should have a paid Apple developer account to publish your app. You can find more details on types of accounts and how to purchase a developer account from https://developer.apple.com/support/compare-memberships/.
- Apple has strict publishing guidelines. Make sure that your app is passing Apple’s guidelines. You can find more details from https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/.
- Your app should have an app icon that represents your app on a user’s phone. All App Icons should adhere to the following specifications
|Color space||sRGB or P3|
|Layers||Flattened with no transparency|
|Resolution||Varies according to Phone model. See Image Size and Resolution|
|Shape||Square with no rounded corners|
- You need at least 3 best screenshots of your app to showcase your app in the app store.
- You need a Description of the app, where you can explain about your application details.
- You also need an application Keywords, these keywords will be used to search your app in the app store.
Creating App IDs (Bundle Id):
If you set up all the points mentioned, as in the first step then we are done with 15% of the publishing procedure.
- Open the link https://developer.apple.com
- Login the account
- Click on Certificates
- On left side, there will be some options like: Certificate, Identifiers etc.
- Click on Identifiers and Click + Button.
- Now you can select the App IDs and click Continue.
- As we are going to publish an iOS app, therefore, we will select the iOS Platform.
- Write description of the app.
- Write your bundle ID (bundle ID uniquely identifies your app) like: “com.yourappname” and click Continue then click Register.
Now you created your bundle Id for the app. And thereafter, you will need to create certificate and Profile for the app.
- Click on 1stoption Certificate and press + button.
- As we are Publishing the app so we will create a Distribution Certificate.
- So, you will select Apple Distribution and click Continue.
- Now it will ask for CSR file. For creating CSR file please open the Keychain Access àCertificate Assistance à Click on Request a certificate.
- Now you can add the CSR file.
- Create the certificate, download and install it.
Provisioning profile Creation:
We created Bundle ID and certificate, now we will create Profile for the app.
- Click on Profiles, select + button.
- Select “App store”, Click Continue.
Now you will select the App id which you created in the first step.
- Select the certificate which was created in the second step.
- Click continue and download the profile and install it.
Creating app into iTunes:
90% of the task is now completed. Now we need to check some steps in iTunes.
- Open https://appstoreconnect.apple.com/
- Click on My Apps, select + button.
- Select New app and write the application name.
- Write a SKU, which can be like (001 your app name)
- Select the bundle ID which you created in first step.
Submitting Binary for Apple review:
Now we need to send our binary into iTunes for submitting the app for review.
- Open your project through XCode.
- Go to “Targets” of the project, click General tab.
- Put your production bundle id into project.
- Select your production provisioning profile from “Built Settings” and check the “Signing”.
- Clean the project using “command + shift + k”.
- Go to product and Archive the code.
- Click on Distribute App
- Select App Store and click next.
It will take some time as per code size so do not panic. After the successful submission of the Binary, you will get a message and after few minutes it will reflect on iTunes’s Builds.